- Child Care Licensing and Administration
- Background Checks
- Colorado Child Care Assistance Program
- Health and Safety Requirements
- Legal Exemption from Child Care Licensing
- Professional Certifications
- Quality Initiatives
- Rules and Regulations
- Support, Resources and Guides
- Stringency Appeals and Waiver Requests
Family Child Care Homes
Before You Get Started
Familiarize Yourself with Licensing Rules
A Family Child Care Home is required to be licensed unless it is operating under one of the approved licensing exemptions.
Carefully and completely read all Family Child Care Home licensing rules and regulations to ensure your home is compliant. This includes:
- General Rules for Child Care Facilities (7.701)
- Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes (7.707)
- Rules Regulating Special Activities (7.719)
- Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP) - for providers who accept CCCAP
Before completing the original family child care home application, ensure you are in compliance with local zoning, building, and planning ordinances, and any homeowner association covenants (see General Rules, 7.701.34.C for more information). You can usually acquire this information at your city or county office where planning and zoning are administered.
You and your spouse must be a legal resident of the United States to be licensed as a child care provider in Colorado.
Family Child Care Home Application Submission Guide
There are multiple types of family child care home licenses. Each family child care home license has different qualification requirements. All family child care home licenses allow only less than 24-hour care.
For information about the different family child care home licenses and detailed instructions on how to submit an original family child care home application, visit the Family Child Care Home Application Submission Guide.
Required Application Materials
Original Application Forms
- Original Family Child Care Home Application Form
- Child Care Licensing Fees
- Experienced Family Child Care Home Provider (ECCP) Acknowledgement (Required for ECCP applications ONLY)
- Proof of Lawful Presence in the United States Affidavit
Materials You Are Required to Keep on File in the HomeDo not submit the forms listed below with your child care application.
You Submitted Your Application - Next Steps
Complete Required Training
- Applicants must complete all training requirements prior to being licensed. It does not need to be completed prior to submitting an application.
- Training requirements include, but are not limited to Pre-Licensing Training, First Aid/CPR Certification, Standard Precautions and Medication Administration training. View all required trainings.
Complete Criminal Background Checks and Fingerprinting
- The Background Check Submission Guide provides the information you need to complete the two separate background check processes required to become licensed to provide child care in Colorado OR to work as an employee or volunteer of a child care facility.
Schedule Your Licensing Inspection
- Once the Office of Early Childhood receives a complete application packet and you are assigned a License Number, a licensing specialist will contact you to schedule an original licensing inspection. If you have not been contacted by a licensing specialist within 45 days of receiving your License Number, please call the Office of Early Childhood at 1.800.799.5876.
- Original licensing inspections are completed to determine if a license should be issued. At the inspection the licensing specialist will verify compliance with licensing rules and regulations, review required training certificates and review health statements.
Questions? Contact the Child Care Licensing & Administration Unit:
Child Care Licensing and Administration
Division of Early Care and Learning, CDHS
1575 Sherman Street, 1st Floor
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 1-800-799-5876 or 303-866-5948
Contact your Licensing Specialist for information regarding your facility or technical assistance.
Sign up to receive child care licensing and administration notifications.