- Child Care Licensing and Administration
- Background Checks
- Colorado Child Care Assistance Program
- Health and Safety Requirements
- Legal Exemption from Child Care Licensing
- Professional Certifications
- Quality Initiatives
- Rules and Regulations
- Support, Resources and Guides
- Stringency Appeals and Waiver Requests
Early Childhood Teacher Certification
Who Should Apply
Individuals who are seeking employment as an Early Childhood Teacher assigned responsibility for a single group of children working under the supervision of a director, may apply for an Official Early Childhood Teacher Qualification Verification Letter from the Division of Early Care and Learning (DECL).
Currently, an Early Childhood Teacher Verification letter is not required for employment. We do not issue licenses or certificates to Early Childhood Teachers.
Review the Credential Equivalency Chart and Early Childhood Teacher Chart to help determine eligibility. Review the Early Childhood Teacher Equivalency Charts for information on credit equivalency from various organizations.
How to Apply
The application process takes approximately 6-8 weeks from the time your complete application packet is received by the Division of Early Care and Learning (DECL) until the results of your evaluation are sent to you.
Complete an application packet:
The complete application packet must include the following documents:
- Application Data Form (Form A).
- Verification Worksheet (Form B).
- Attached supporting documentation (original transcripts and/or certificates). Accepted forms of transcript include sealed, official transcripts and official, emailed PDF transcripts received from college registrars.
- DECL will NOT accept copies of official or unofficial transcripts (this includes, faxed, photocopied or emailed transcripts), computer printouts of transcripts, grade reports, etc.
- Experience Verification Worksheet (Form C).
- Attach the official experience letter to this form.
You are encouraged to make a copy of your application packet prior to mailing it to the DECL. Once your evaluation has been completed and a final qualification letter issued, your entire file will be shredded. Application packet documents will not be returned to applicant.
Mail the application packet to:
Early Childhood Teacher Qualifications
CDHS, Division of Early Care and Learning
1575 Sherman Street, 1st Floor
Denver, CO 80203-1714
Once all documents are received, the Division will determine if you meet the requirements for Early Childhood Teacher qualification. You will receive one of two letters:
- A final letter indicating that you are fully qualified. This is verification that you are Early Childhood Teacher qualified.
- A letter indicating that you are not qualified to function as an Early Childhood Teacher and explaining why you do not qualify.
Regionally Accrediting Organizations Recognized by the DECL
Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges - Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC-CIHE)
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools - The Higher Learning Commission (NCA-HLC)
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges
Western Association of Schools and Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (WASC-ACCJC)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges - Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities (WASC-ACSCU)
Questions? Contact Early Childhood Teacher Qualification:
Child Care Licensing and Administration
Division of Early Care and Learning, CDHS
1575 Sherman Street, 1st Floor
Denver, CO 80203